LFGuild (again)

1. bhagpuss says:

I’ve long been wary of larger guilds and generally I stick to very small ones, usually, like you, ones founded and run by myself and Mrs Bhagpuss. GW2, however, allows you to be in up to five guilds at once and for various reasons I am now in two fairly large guilds, one of which is primarily aimed at WvW.

I have never heard anything like you describe. Yes, there’s some swearing, although even that is unusual, and the odd flurry of innuendo but racism? Never. In fact the general tone of conversation has been very pleasant. Given that there are 400+ in the guild and regularly 30-50 on at once the main problem I’ve had is that the conversations become very distracting!

I wonder if WoW really is significantly worse in this respect than other MMOs? that’s certainly its reputation.

2. pasmith says:

” I know not everyone has an issue with these types of comments, and I understand that ‘hey it’s just a game’ but overlooking these types of incidents just doesn’t sit well in my stomach.”

IMO the “Hey, it’s just a game” people are part of the problem. Hate speech is a problem wherever it happens. I would’ve bailed on that guild too!

3. Scopique says:

We need a guild of the unguilded!

4. Jeromai says:

It very much comes down to what the community (overall game culture, plus local group) allows/tolerates and what the game (as in devs, mods and design) allows.

I’ve always liked how my big GW2 guild runs things, leaders will speak up and put a stop to anything that threatens to get too offensive in a public channel, even over voice chat. Most of time it’s something that doesn’t even register on my personal scale of offense, but they demonstrates the culture of respect desired as a result.

And for the really terrible racist speech, everyone knows it doesn’t last long in GW2 because the mods can and will act on any reports. That has a muting effect right off the bat, and suspensions/bans take care of the stalwart offenders.

5. Akely says:

I guess we should be proud of ourselves in Knights of Nii/The 20 Minuters. Since you’ve not left us yet. 🙂

6. CrazyKinux says:

I’ve been fortunate enough not to be witness to these sorts of idiotic comments. But I wouldn’t hesitate to get-the-hell-outta-there if I were to be part of such a group. High-Five for making the move!