It May Not Be For You – And That’s OK! #WurmOnline

1. I tried it a long time ago, and I found it too tough for me to crack. That said, I love that I could build stuff in it, but it took way too much time. Looking forward to something a little less scary, like Archeage, when it comes out. :D

2. Moxie says:

Another tip: If you’re just starting out, don’t feel like you have to deed right away, or even go out on your own right away. Check out the recruitment forums on the website for villages that are recruiting, that’ll give you a place to “hang your hat” while you improve your skills – your villagemates will likely be happy to answer any questions you have about the game and mentor you a bit until you’re ready to strike out on your own.

3. Shawn says:

I play on Independence, but I may make a new account on Deliverance to come visit you.

4. Niall says:

I am interested, but I have a concern:

I have not been a big fan of non-instanced palyer housing. Too well do I remember practically all of Britannia being paved over in UO, or having immersion totally ruined in Vanguard when you walk into a player made sub-division. I fear that much of the adventuring wilderness will disappear, and you will wind up playing Medieval Sims.

Can a player of Wurm reassure me?

@Niall – the game has been around for quite some time, and there’s a LOT of wilderness. That being said, there’s also a lot built up. The coast especially, for trade routs and the closeness to water for ships. Since you can only create stone / wood buildings and stone / wood / iron fences, there’s no loss of immersion, that I can feel at least. Independence server has been around a lot longer, and that server felt completely different to me than Deli. It’s really just something you’ll have to explore for yourself. =)

6. AFK says:

I just want to let you know how much I’ve been enjoying you Wurm posts. I love them. I still love Eve online and consider myself a sandbox fan but I just never had the guts to try Wurm myself. Your posts let me play vicariously through them though. Thank you and keep them comming.

7. Zoe says:

My husband just sent me the link for your first Wurm Online blog, and I am so excited to get home from work and download it! Your posts make it seem like exactly the kind of game I’ve been looking for. I hope you keep blogging about your adventures; I will definitely keep coming back, and maybe see you ingame. :)

8. Alii says:

I tried Wurm and it was beyond frustrating for me. I’ve found that my ‘fun’ in games comes from ones where I can throw myself at a problem and fail often to learn the nuances of success and failure to overcome them. With Wurm, the cost of death was high enough that failing even once was too much. The only game I’ve played with a similar cost of failure has been Eve, so I think that’s an apt comparison.