Cleric Macros #RiftGame

1. bhagpuss says:

I was playing around with macros on my Warrior last night, mainly for PvP. It’s all very well, but I find it hard to get past the fact that by making one button cast a number of abilities I am putting myself out of business.

The fewer keys or hotkeys I have to press, the less involvement I have with the game I am paying to play, surely? I’ve dabbled with it for the Warrior because, frankly, I can’t play a warrior in PvP in the first place so I had nothing to lose. But for classes that I can play reasonably well, let’s say clerics and mages, I want to be pressing as many hotkeys as possible. That’s where the fun is.

Nevertheless, I will continue fooling around with macros. After all, I prefer systems like Everquest or Guild Wars, where you only have 8 to 10 abilities to choose from at any one time. Perhaps I can reduce the much larger number of Rift abilities to half a dozen macros and treat it like EQ. That might work.

2. pasmith says:

I have that same feeling, Bhagpuss. In my normal every day life, I use Macros to make tedious, repetitive jobs less tedious and repetitive. So using them in a game just makes me start to wonder why I’m playing…

And yet at the same time, clearly Trion put them in-game to be used, so yeah, maybe you and I need to think of each macro as a kind of “Custom Spell” and the components as ‘Spell parts’ rather than complete stand-alone skills.

My reasoning to both of you is this – I have 5 hot bars filled with skills / potions / clickies for adventuring and that’s WITH the macros already condensing things. You are always hitting buttons, there’s never a time you’re not hitting buttons, how is there less involvement hitting buttons in a 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 pattern over and over that you create via placement then there is hitting button 1 2 3 4 – they’re the same buttons you’re hitting, with the same timing, and the same situational thinking required. The hotkeys are in the exact order that my hotbars were in for my personal casting and you have to hit them just as many times to trigger the skills. They don’t cast for you, they don’t cast everything in the macro all at once, etc. They just group your skills together to save hotbar space.

4. pkudude99 says:

As an FYI, off-GCD skills should be placed at the bottom of a macro. If you’re spamming the macro like everyone does, then in the 1.5s of GCD they’ll fire off then but not use up a keypress “early” by going off before some other skill in the macro queue. It’s been parsed out and has been found to increase dps for those damage macros slightly. Not so much that anyone but a min/maxer would care, I’d guess, but still a consistent difference.

I gotta admit, I’m surprised you put Rage of the North in your macro — I keep that out and use it when I feel there’s a need (which is admittedly almost always every time it’s up 😛 ). I actually always put Ageless Ice as the top slot in the macro also and then keep Purpose out as a secondary for those rare fights where I get mana-drained. Typically using Ageless Ice in the macro keeps me at 70% or higher at all times, though.

I am also curious as to why in your ST dps macro you put “#show Crushing Blow” but then use Strike of Judgment as your spam skill? Especially since Crushing Blow does more damage than Strike of Judgment in a dps build. Typo?

I’m also impressed you’re using Massive and Crushing Blows in your tank macro. At 1st blush it makes sense given that they do more damage than the Strike of Judgment, but then MoL cuts their damage by 40% — are it still higher after the debuff? I don’t think they do, but I don’t know the numbers offhand either.

I see you still get convictions from Sovereignty and Sanction Heretic, so I’d guess you’re okay there, but fwiw, I prefer to use the Strike of Judgment to make it so I’m more or less always capped on Convictions — if the group takes some bad AE’s the ability to chain 4 DoL’s (or a DoA and 3 DoL’s) is very nice — helps the group survive and is MASSIVE threat to you, after all.

Still.. probably doesn’t matter, I’d suppose. If what you have is working, then it’s all good.

@pkudude99 – Whewps, yes that’s a typo, that’ll teach me for trying to get it done so early in the morning. Will fix in the post shortly. Also, as far as the tank macros – I literally just switched to the spec you had linked in the previous post, so I haven’t had anything to test it on beside 2 T1 dungeon runs, it will take some tweaking I’m sure to get it all situated.

re: rage of the north – it’s there because I want to use it every time it’s up, and I use the macros constantly. 😉 That ensures I use it without having to click a separate button. I very rarely ever run out of mana, which is why I keep those ones out of the macros, I want them up for when I NEED the mana, other wise it seems like a waste for me.

6. pkudude99 says:

A little tip when pulling: *If you have conviction* — turn off MoL, then turn it back on, then pull with Rebuke (ae) or BoR (single) and hit DoA. This does damage to the mob(s) and heals you, thus giving a nice big threat opener. Keeps mobs from running past you and snapping back later on the pull.

Some argue that it’s actually good to let them past you and then use DoA after a couple of group members have taken some damage since it also heals them and gives you that much more threat, but I’m of the opinion that if a mob isn’t focused on me then I’m not doing my job right.

7. Courtney says:

Thanks for this! I’m currently leveling a Cleric and have just started experimenting with Macros. It’s helpful to see what other people are using.

I actually picked up Rift a few weeks ago after reading your posts about it and love it! I’m slowly leveling and exploring it has been a LONG time since I’ve enjoyed a game this much.