A Bit of a Rant Concerning GU61 #EQ2

1. ogrebear says:

This is one of the reason SoE will have an MMO on caliber to WoW (and i’m going to assume The Old Republic). They either make the choice to allow crap like this out, or they don’t do enough testing to prevent crap like this.

2. Santinea says:

You know I agree with you. This GU needed a LOT more testing. There were even items that were marked as Pants, and they were CLOAKS?!?! Then to tell us that this is going to be repeated today. I was frustrated because I would have to spend 290 aa’s on my level 90 toon to then turn around and spend them again.

I just really wish they got a clue… Test test test. Oh well.. Hopefully things will settle down after the weekend.

3. Hudson says:

Ugh. EQ2 just seems to be so muddled now and confusing. I think the game is just too old and needs a total revamp. I cant take it seriously anymore. EQ3 anyone?

4. bhagpuss says:

As a longtime resident of EQ2’s Test server I’d like to point out that, as usual, most of these issues were known and reported.

Mrs Bhagpuss played my our main EQ2 characters on Test for five years until Freeport launched last year and we moved to EQ2X. All our level 90s are still on Test. In all the time we’ve been there, every major update has gone Live with many, many bugs which had not just been reported by Testers but discussed ad nauseam in the Test channel, frequently with QA people and even Devs present during the discussions. While it’s very true that the persistent low population of the Test server has always meant that not all bugs, particularly ones involving high-end content, are found, it’s also the case that many bugs which are found just get sent to Live anyway.

Personally, this is one of the reasons I like SoE MMOs more than almost all others. I see the chaos as content. One of the defining reasons why Mrs Bhagpuss and I didn’t last long in WoW was that hardly anything ever seemed to go wrong, which was just really dull. That said, GU61 is waaaaaay past anything anyone could call acceptable. It clearly needed weeks more work. It was also blindingly obvious to anyone that this was going to happen.

I’m just glad I only logged on yesterday to check out the patch with one of my low level characters. Only an hour’s attuning and AAs to redo. I hope my discoveries stand, though! I didn’t solo Ladon for nothing!

5. bhagpuss says:

Doh! Second para should begin “Mrs Bhagpuss and I” . The way I wrote it, it sounds like I let her play all the characters while I just watch 😛

I’m sure things were tested and reported – but my issue is that they should have never been allowed to go live. If it wasn’t fixed, don’t push it to live. Even today there’s still so many bugs they’re offering yet another unattuning for players – optional, but still. This GU was not ready.

7. flosch says:

This was only the second GU that I witnessed since I came back to EQ2 (and played it in earnest, ever). I can only agree: this patch would’ve needed at least a couple more weeks of time, and this was so blindingly obvious that I can’t understand how anybody would’ve ever thought it would go over well. Probably nobody did, which makes you wonder why they consider this a good way to go about things. Bananaware (ripens after delivery) ahoy!

As someone who hasn’t played much EQ2, can you shed a bit of light on your GU13 reference? It’s surprisingly hard to find old patch notes, and all that I found were comments like “GU13 changed every single part of the game”, which sounds both exaggerated and inaccurate.