A little Weekend WAR

1. Scott says:

I’m glad you had the UI thing; people were calling BS on me when I said it.

Not to “blog about the guild” but I’m really not finding CoW terribly friendly and fun like I thought. I’ll login and say hi, to be greeted with compete silence. People aren’t really lighthearted in chat or very fun at all, it’s so serious… I dunno… Add to that my normal play hours are weekday mornings when MMO’s always have low populations. It’s one thing if I have to solo for awhile to get a group. It’s another thing in WAR where I can’t progress or get anything done without a group. The solo quests are just so gawdawful boring I’d rather have a proctologist give me a root canal (think about it…) than do much of that.

I feel almost the same way concerning the whole.. guild thing Scott – though I did have fun on vent, it was difficult with so many people and they all split off to do their own things anyhow which I was too small to partake in (plus I didn’t want to get flogged for asking a newb-like question. I wasn’t born knowing the ins and outs of WAR). Everyone has their cliques and of course being shy, or used to solo game play impedes that.

Your normal playtime hours sound a LOT like mine as well.

I hate having to feel like I should give a game a chance. The game is supposed to impress me, not the other way around.

3. Scott says:

I’m not a huge “login to Ventrilo and chat just for the helluvit” kinda guy. I’ll text chat all day and night, but I’m not a… whatever the male equivalent of a “Chatty Cathy” would be unless I’ve got a reasonable amount of liquor in me.

WAR also refuses to release its default keybinds despite what its keybind frame says. I use ‘v’ for ‘voice’ push-to-talk but WAR uses that for the abilities frame. I’ve set that to ‘k’ and *only* ‘k’ but ‘v’ still pulls it up anyway. Yes, I could *just for WAR* use a different key, but I shouldn’t have to, and on general principle I refuse to bend to the game. If itt has an option, that option should work.

I dunno, I guess I just expected the same “silly fun family feeling” (only on a larger scale) that I actively seek out in other MMOs, and I’m not seeing it yet. On the other hand, I won’t discount that a lot of it just might be the times I’m playing (which hasn’t been much since I joined the guild) so there’s also a good chance that I’ve just been around during down-times.

Sounds sort of like the issues I was having with the unit frames. I had them to always show, no matter what, but it didn’t matter what I set them to, the frames refused to show if people were full on health. I admit now that I like to play a certain way, and I re-bind all my keys that way for every game, old habits are hard to break.

Thankfully with curse client I was able to easily change my unit frames, and I like the ones I’m using now a LOT better. I also changed my hotkeys to completely turn red / grey etc when I am out of range / out of points because the numbers changing colours did nothing for me.

5. crookkshankz says:

Hiya Stargrace!

I know WAR doesn’t offer a lot of the things you really enjoy in other MMO’s, but at least your making the best of it! I have to agree with the dwarf quests, they are fun. The Greenskin questlines are very funny, if you get a chance.

Waaagh! Blog had a good write up on genders, if your curious http://waaagh.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/dude-wheres-my-gender/

BTW how do you hide the UI?

Happy Hunting!

Shift + Z is the default.

7. Openedge1 says:

So the infamous “Bloggers” guild is maybe not as fun as you thought? I have also suffered in the past with huge guilds.
    I enjoy the 10-20 member guilds more.

But, is the game itself fun enough to maybe make you say “Hey, maybe I should try to find a specific group to play with?”
    Kind of like Nostalgia Guild.

I think the wife and myself have found our niche. Age of Conan for gaming together, and we now have a new objective. This weekend when we got our TV we put in a pre-order for Fable 2. As part of this, they give you a free $10 value game, which is a set of “Pub games”. As you play these “gambling” type games, you can win money. Once you login your character in Fable 2 when it has been created (release in November), then any winnings can be “transferred” to your character..
    Brilliant.
    And you can take your money (which is linked the whole time to that character) and go back in and gamble anytime.
    If you find gold or earn money IN the Fable game, you can gamble with that cash as well..
    How smart is that.
    Kind of like the LoN card game, with items you can win..or cards you find in game..

Cool.

Sorry…got off tangent.
    How about WAR…is it fun enough?

8. JoBildo says:

Large guilds just won’t be for everyone, that I can agree with. But I’m liking it. It just takes way longer to get to know people that in a smaller group.

I will say this though, if you don’t ever want to hop on Vent, it’s not the same… I never used to chat on Vent but CoW makes that aspect fun for me.

9. Genda says:

Sorry to hear that WAR wasn’t your cup of tea. It’s not for everyone. I’m sure that there will be more people leaving and joining the game over the next few months.

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t find Casualties to be as intimate as you had hoped. One of the reasons we chose to close recruitment was because of this concern. We grew faster than anticipated and now we’re having to manage that. Like WAR, Casualties won’t be for everyone. In spite of the negative wishes from some quarters, a lot of people are finding CoW to be fun and enjoyable. I’ll acknowledge that the majority of our players have 9-5’s so the largest populations tend to be in prime time. After all, that’s why they call it prime time, right?

Best wishes to those of you who are moving on. For us, we’ll take Waaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

@Genda All new comments by people who are not on my ‘instant approve’ list are held for moderation. No need to have more people flaming me, this is my site, not theirs. Which is why your post was held, Genda until I could approve it. Sorry I didn’t do it instantly before you’d commented again.

Also, please note that I actually play ‘prime’ hours (since those hours change all over the world. What’s prime for you is not necessarily prime for other people). So I’m not sure if your comments are directed towards my site or at someone else’ comments. Nor did I say anything ill about CoW except that it’s easy to get lost, since it’s giant. Not sure where the ‘not your cup of tea’ comes into play either, have you noticed the last few posts at all? I’m still wondering if you’re commenting about my own writing, or someone else’ comments more. Remember it’s my site and hence, my opinions.

@Everyone who thinks I should think like them and HOW DARE I NOT THINK LIKE YOU! (I’m tired of getting mail from you, you know who you are) Mob mentality is great, but keep it off of my site. I’m sorry I don’t adore everything going on, and I’m WELL aware that LOTS of others do. I don’t need to be flogged because of a difference in opinion.

@JoBildo – I used vent in CoW. Had no issues with it. If you’d like to comment towards Scott’s comments, well maybe this is not the best place for that?